Saturday, November 27, 2010

difficulty in being good to the bad

a fakir was walking on a narrow muddy lane

while moving from one cluster of villages to the next.

a goat and a dog were following him.

the fakir was famous and respected far and wide

for his radical views.

on the way a group of people was coming from the opposite direction.

they recognised the fakir and bowed to him.

"blessed to meet you, holy soul!" they said in a chorus

the fakir smiled, blessed them and was about to move forward alongwith his dog and goat

when a young man in group uttered in an unsettled hurried voice

"can you help me in my dilemma, o noble soul!"

the fakir stopped and looked back

"tell me, child!"

"in private, o blessed soul!"

the fakir took him aside under the big banyan tree.

but the dog and goat followed their master.

"now tell me, child!"

"i have a lot of difficulty in dealing with people.

everyone around seems so unreasonable

and wrong

and bully

and unjust

and cunning

and stupid

and harsh

and unconcerned....

i get deeply hurt by them.

it is so difficult to deal with them

without either taking on them or swallowing my own pride!

i feel like leaving the place.

i am deeply dejected and feel out of place

please tell me how should i deal with these difficult people?"

the fakir smiled

looked at the goat and the dog standing around in rapt attention

and said

"son! these two creatures are my long time companions.

they accompany me wherever i go

but even after so many years of co-existence

neither the dog became goat or goat became me or me became a goat or dog!

the dog still loves what he does

the goat still does what she loves

and i still live the way i should.

none of us can be what we are not!

still, somehow we know we can't be but together.

same is your situation, my child!

open your eyes and recognise the real souls you are surrounded with

and you will realise their helplessness!

it is not the question of difficulty in being good to the bad

it is the question of difficulty in seeing the God in the bad!"

saying this,

the fakir started to walk.....

....and the dog and the goat followed him!

No comments:

Post a Comment